Indianapolis Community Building Institute (ICBI)
A Space For Building Skills
What is ICBI? The Indianapolis Community Building Institute (ICBI) is a training program that incorporates the traditional classes of neighborhood organizing with a community-based project. The program is open to all Indianapolis neighborhoods and community-based organizations. As an important part of the program, Indianapolis Neighborhood Resource Center (INRC) will work with each organization to develop community-specific systems to measure the results of each of the neighborhood-based projects. The measurements will vary, but will be designed to show the success of each project. Based on the philosophy of Asset-Based Community Development (ABCD), the Indianapolis Community Building Institute (ICBI) transfers community building skills while providing space where Indianapolis neighbors can connect, realize and act on their passions for change.
Leadership development is critical to mobilizing residents to see change in their own neighborhoods and across neighborhoods. This program is available to all without regard of race, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, veteran status or on the basis of any other protected classification. Reasonable accommodations for the selection process and during service are available upon request.
The courses will begin September 7, 2022. After the participating organizations are determined, INRC will work the group to finalize the workshop schedule. Workshops will be held from September, 2022 through December, 2022.
INRC staff will support the teams outside of the classroom as they work on their projects and implement the concepts presented in the workshops.
The program is partially funded with Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) funding from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) through the City of Indianapolis. While INRC assures that at least 50% of the total number of census tracts for the selected neighborhoods are qualified for the use of CDBG funds, INRC is also committed to ensuring that a diverse representation of neighborhoods is selected. All neighborhoods are eligible to participate, even if they have no HUD qualified census tracts.
1. Eligibility Requirement
- Any community-based organization within the Indianapolis area that is registered (or is willing to be registered) with the City of Indianapolis. The registration tool is found at http://www.maps.indy.gov/Indy.organizations.Web/.
- The community-based organization has experienced leaders and is looking to expand its leadership team, or the association desires to create a leadership team.
- The community-based organization is willing to complete a project before December 31, 2023 and work with INRC to develop measurable results.
- Completed application.
- List of three to five residents/stakeholders who have been identified by the community-based organization as existing or emerging leaders who have agreed to attend the courses. Ideally, each resident should attend 100% of the courses, however, INRC understands that there are often circumstances that could impact attendance. Because of this, INRC suggests that each neighborhood consider a back-up representative who could substitute, as necessary.
3. How to Apply
- Completed applications are due by 5:00pm EST on Monday, August 1, 2022 via INRC’s online application.
4. Measurements of success
- Selected associations will be expected to complete a project by December 31, 2023.
- Selected associations will work with INRC to develop measurable results.
- Applications will be reviewed by a committee composed of INRC staff and recent ICBI graduates.
- It is anticipated that four to five neighborhoods will be selected.
Prior to the start of the session, the registered team members from each selected neighborhood will be asked to complete a brief Neighborhood Assessment.
Thank you to the City of Indianapolis and the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development for their support of the Indianapolis Community Building Institute!