25 Years of Community Advocacy
INRC’s history is rooted in the advocacy of neighborhood leadership, and the citywide collaborative efforts of the public, private and not-for-profit sector.
In 1991, United Way of Central Indiana (UWCI) and the Lilly Endowment convened a group to discuss the idea of a training center to build leadership capacity in neighborhoods. In 1993, UWCI requested proposals on behalf of the Coalition for Human Services Planning to create a resource to help support neighborhood organizations. A group of partners that included Community Organizations Legal Assistance Project (COLAP), the Indianapolis Neighborhood Housing Partnership (INHP), Local Initiatives Support Corporation (LISC), and the Marion County Alliance of Neighborhood Associations (MCANA) submitted the selected proposal.
In November 1993, INRC held its first official meeting of the Board of Directors. In January 1994, Indianapolis Mayor Steve Goldsmith issued a press release announcing the formation of INRC to provide training and technical assistance to neighborhood-based organizations. INRC established its headquarters at 1802 N. Illinois Street—a space owned by IU Health. In the 20+ years (January 1994-September 2014) that INRC occupied this space, IU Health provided support in innumerable ways, including: pro bono and discounted remodeling work; dramatically discounted rent (sometimes waiving rent); technical support; and, guidance.
In September 2014, INRC moved its offices to The Sol Center—formerly the Indianapolis Senior Center—at 708 E. Michigan Street. Through the power of community and collaboration, The Sol Center serves as a model for long-term sustainability for the several nonprofit organizations it houses.
In September of 2019, INRC will celebrate its 25th Anniversary of serving Indianapolis neighborhoods through the Asset-Based Community Development theory model.